Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Our encounter with Pink-eye!!!!




On Saturday Joshua woke up with his eyes matted shut and his eyes very swollen! I didn't really think anything of it, because the wonderful Texas weather had just changed AGAIN. I thought maybe he was affected by all the cedar, and mold that had been tossed around with the wind and everything. So, I just wiped his eyes and gave him some benadryl and we went on about our day. Well, his eyes never got better, at one point the poor kid could barely see out of them. I still continued to wipe his eyes. He never acted like he felt bad or that his eyes bothered him at all. Sunday morning rolled around and he woke up with his eyes fused together by the gunk that was in them. Once, again a took warm cloths and placed them over his eyes and tried to wipe away all the gunk that was keeping him from seeing. It broke my heart to see him like that, but it didn't seem to bother him one bit. We talked about not going to the kite festival, but still thought that it was the weather and gave him some benadryl and went on to the kite festival. Now, I have never had pink-eye nor have a ever encountered anyone with pink-eye so I am honestly thinking the weather is just really hitting him hard. Yesterday they still looked horrible, so I made him a doctor's appt. The nurses at my work said that it might be a sinus infection that had just backed up into his eyes, and one of them said it might be pink-eye. I was shocked at that, because I thought you can only get pink-eye from someone who already had it and he had not been around anyone that had pink-eye. Well, when we went to the doctor she confirmed what my nurse at work had thought. Joshua had pink-eye in both eyes. The doctor explained to me that you can get pink-eye many different ways and apparently Joshua's sinus had backed up so much that it caused his eyes to become infected with all the nasty bacteria and therefore causing him to get pink-eye. So, now we are treating the pink-eye with 1 drop in each eye 3 times a day. This is not an easy task with a one year old. We literally have to hold him down and pray that the drops get in the eye. The doctor said that he should start to get better in 24hrs after the drops have been in. I guess I can actually say this is our first true sickness! I am thankful for that. Kids are so resilient! As you can see in the pictures below, this pink-eye stuff isn't a problem for him! He is still his bubbly, loving, happy self. In a few days Joshua should be a new little man!!
















No comments: