Monday, August 23, 2010

Turtle Class

So, I wish I could say that Joshua's first day in the Turtle class was awesome, but that is not the case. He woke up this morning around 615 crying only to be followed by a fight to put his clothes on and then there were the pictures that he did not want to take. I have to post them because it shows the truth of how the first day went down! Remember back in a previous post were I said that they were trying to get Joshua adjusted to his new teacher and classroom and that he finally started saying "hi" when he saw her, well yesterday around 4pm we get a phone call from his school saying that there has been a change to the Turtle class and Ms. Jolene will not be his teacher anymore(WHAT?), that Ms. Maria will be his new teacher! Ok, that just threw me into a nervous tissy! I was already nervous about taking him because I knew he was going to cry, but I was comfortable knowing who his teacher was and that he already met her. Now we both have to do it cold turkey, from scratch(not cool!). So, after I got over my "whys" and "hows" I began telling Joshua that he is going to have a new teacher and her name is Ms. Maria. He repeated her name a few times and we talked about the turtle class. Ok, so back to the first day, as we went to school he was a little bit better (no tears) and when we got in the parking lot he was fine, going through the doors he immediately went for his old room and I told him that he was a big boy now and that he goes to the turtle class. Well, it went down hill from there. He refused to go into the classroom and just stood against the wall for a good five minutes saying no, no, no! I was trying to comfort him and tell him how much fun he was going to have, etc. Finally, I just picked him up and went into the classroom. Ms. Maria was in there and she looked just as lost, that is because she was! This was apparently her first day as well. YIKES!!! After reassuring Joshua that he was going to be fine and putting away his backpack and nap mat, he started playing with some toys all the while looking over his shoulder to make sure I was still there. Ms. Maria was very kind and was trying her best not to show how nervous she was and tried to get to know the kiddos (there are 8 kids total, 6 boys and 2 girls). I finally got up the nerve to leave and told Joshua goodbye and I would be back when he completely broke down again. Pulling on my dress, saying "momma, hold you hold you", honestly I wanted to pick him up and leave but I knew that wasn't the right thing to do. Instead I bent down and gave him one last hug and asked the teacher to take him and get his blanket. I started to tear up and he was screaming, so I just went out the door trying to fight back the tears, until I got to my car where I promptly called Dan and began to cry. I hated that, I hated leaving him like that.

First Day of School Pic!




He would not wear his backpack this year either but he liked to zip and unzip it!
When I went to pick him up today, she said that he cried off and on the whole day. His old teachers were helping her out with her class since she was new and every time Joshua would see them, he would melt down again. So, today was not the best first day! Alot of tears were shed today and I know that there will be alot of tears shed tomorrow, and the next day and the next. I just hope that everyone gets adjusted well and Joshua begins to like his new class!


He was all smiles when we got home!!!


In case you were wondering, Ms. Jolene was moved to another class and that is why he has a new teacher. I don't know how I feel about this teacher yet, because 1. It is the first day and 2. she is brand new to the school. I am sure it will all work out, it is just going to take some time!


1 comment:

Graham and Storey said...

Poor, little Joshua! I hope tomorrow is a better day!