Sunday, January 9, 2011

Adventures in Potty Training!

A couple of post ago, I talked about adventures that our family would be embarking on in 2011 and one of those adventures is potty training. Dan and I decided that after the New Year we would start potty training Joshua. He is 3 after all, so we thought we would give it another shot since the last attempt failed miserably(clearly he wasn't ready then). This weekend we decided would be a good start because it was supposed to be nasty weather and we did not have any commitments so we thought let's do this! We knew full well that it was going to be painful for all of us and that we were going to have to try just as hard if not harder than Joshua not to throw in the towel. So Saturday morning arrived and at 8am we began! Pull up came off and underwear went on.

We set the timer for every 5 mins. Every time it would go off we would ask him if he had to tee tee of poo poo in the potty and his answer would be "NO!" Every 10-15 mins we would actual sit him on the potty and if he sat on the potty he got to pick a sticker for his "Potty Time Chart" and if he actually went "potty" he would get 3 m&ms.



Saturday consisted of alot of accidents, which was to be expected. I think I did about 2 loads of laundry to replenish his supply of underwear that he was going through. It only took 4 hours before he actually went tee tee in the potty and boy was he happy! He was so excited that he kept asking us to give him high-fives and kept saying "it's splashing, it's splashing!" We were just as excited and clapped and cheered for him. The best part of course was getting his 3 m&ms. After each one he put in his mouth, he would say. "mmmmm, delicious!"(This child does not get candy hardly ever, so this is a huge deal to him)


The little potty seat that goes on the big potty, or Joshua likes to call it his "Elmo potty"
In the afternoon he had a few more accidents, but before bed he successfully went to the potty again. Once again, high-fives and m&ms. I told Dan after Joshua went to bed that I was proud of Joshua and I thought the day was a success considering it was our first go at it in awhile. Dan said he agreed but that he was proud of us for not throwing in the towel. It was all worth it with the 2 successful trips to the potty!!



Sunday started a little earlier, around 7! Once again off with the night pull up and on went the underwear. Joshua went almost 2 whole hours before he had an accident. We still set the timer every 5 mins and still continued to take him every 10-15mins. I think he was holding it until he couldn't any longer. That was frustrating to me, I am not going to lie. I knew he needed to go, but you can't force it out of him. After that it just seemed to click. I think it clicked for both Dan and I as well. We started watching the time and would put him on the potty every 20 mins and most of the time he would go. The boy got alot of m&ms today, but they were well deserved. He did awesome! He had more successful attempts today than he did accidents.




I am so proud of our little man! To be honest I was not looking forward to this weekend at all, because I know how stubborn Joshua is and I just didn't think we were going to have such a great success rate as we did( just being honest). Well, the weekend has come to a close and all the resolve treatments for the floor, the underwear washing, the timer going off every 5(then 10 mins) and the asking 50 gazillion times "do you need to go potty?" was all worth it in the end to see that he went to the potty and that he was so very proud of himself when he went. At the end, I think he liked going to the potty. He has yet to tell us that he has to go to the potty, but I know that will come in time. We got a lot further than I thought we would this weekend. I think we are going to go full force and continue his training while he is at school. His teacher is willing and ready to work with us she said, and I really do not want to put a road block in the process by putting him in a pull up during school. So, on Monday, with a ball of nerves and several changes of clothes, we will be sending him to school in underwear. Hopefully, him being with the other kids who are fully potty trained and Ms. Maria taking him and reminding him when to go, he will do ok. I know he will have accidents, that is all part of potty training, but I also know that he will catch on quickly and we can STOP buying diapers!!!!





WISH US LUCK WITH OUR RECENT ADVENTURE!!!!!




No comments: