Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shriner Circus 2011

On Saturday we went to the Shriner Circus. My boss had brought some coupons into work and I thought it would be fun to take Joshua to his FIRST circus! It was the perfect day to do so because it was cold and rainy. I wasn't quite sure how Joshua would react to his first circus experience, but I knew with out a doubt that he would love the animals that were there. When we first entered the circus there was a clown that greeted us and Joshua tightened his grip around my neck and told me to go the other direction. Well, that was not where our seats were, so we just quickly went by the clown and went to our seats. We had really good seats! We sat right above the floor seats. We could see everything! Once we settled in our seats, Joshua blurted out with excitement, "look at all those elephants!"(eyes wide and mouth opened) He also informed us that they liked to eat corn(who knew)?!



So once the lights went down and the music started this is what Joshua did immediately! He asked for his blanket and it went straight over his head. He is not afraid of the dark, so I think the loud music bothered him. He stayed like this for awhile and then eventually he started to peek out from behind the blanket.

He was all smiles when it came to intermission. The lights were up and the music was low. Plus he got to see the elephants and ponies that they had out for kids to ride. Joshua did not ride even though he said he wanted to. I knew he wouldn't once we got up there and it was our turn, so instead we distracted him with snocone!






Joshua's favorite acts were the elephants, tigers, and the jugglers! He was glued to those acts and never covered his face once with his blanket.








Joshua got a couple of things while he was at the circus: snocone, popcorn, a stuffed "Bo" the elephant and a lighting rod that flashes and changes colors.





The animal performances were amazing! I really liked that part of the circus. A tiger on a spinning disco ball, dogs that high jumped and an elephant that skipped, what more of a "wow factor" do you need!?





Joshua's first circus experience was a success I think! I don't think we traumatized him too bad. He never cried or freaked out and to be honest I was surprised. I know I cried when I went to the circus for the first time. Those darn clowns were scary! I am glad we took him and I know he enjoyed parts of the circus even if he said "No!" when we asked him if he wanted to go back and do it again!! I think we will give "the greatest show on earth" another go next year!















No comments: