Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Love Them and Tell Them

Word of Caution: I am about to get real here...

On Sunday, I received some very sad news regarding an old friend from high school. All in a split second he lost his wife and youngest son in a hit and run accident. The driver of the vehicle was drunk and never stopped after the impact. It pains me to think of what my old friend is going through. Although we are not close anymore, I still hurt for him and his family.

I will be the first to admit that I can get caught up in the craziness that is life and take advantage of what I have in life. When something tragic like this hits close to home I always feel an added challenge to step it up. Almost like a reminder to remember what you have in your life and to continue to cherish the moments in life that you might brush aside on a busy day. Although, I always tell Dan and Joshua I love them sometimes I know I could probably say it a little more or give an extra hug or kiss. Sometimes, we forget that it is ok to let the laundry sit in the dryer for a couple of more hours so we can paint with our kids or let the dishes hang out in the sink another hour or two so we can spend some time with our spouse. I am not saying you should let your house go completely unclean, I am just saying that all those things will still be there, right where you left them, rather it be 5 mins or a couple of hours. Spending time with the ones you love is the most important thing you can do.

I know you are probably thinking, duh, I know family is more important than the dishes in the sink, but what I am talking about is cherish the little, littlest things that we can pass up on busy days, like an extra smile or hug or being very attentive(no distractions) when having a conversation with your child, spouse or friend.

My friend's wife was on her way to work and was going to drop off the baby at the grandparents when this horrific crash happened. She was just doing her normal routine that she always does, same road at the same time. No one knows when their time here on earth is through. So, we should all live each day like it was our last and make sure we tell the ones that we love how much we love them and how much we cherish everything about them.

We should never get so busy in life that we take for granted what we have and who we have in our lives. So tell your spouse or loved one a thousands times and more how much you love them and go ahead and spend that extra minute or two snuggling with your child. Life is too short not live it to the fullest and cherish every last second!!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the three of you very much!!