Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Keep Swimming, Swimming, Swimming...

Joshua has not taken swim lessons this summer, that is, until yesterday. Joshua took swim lessons through a local recreation center in the past summers since he was 6 months old, but I didn't feel that they would benefit this time around. I wanted to find a place that would be serious, but understanding all at the same time. So, I found a swim school that offered 1 free swim lesson, just to try it out and "test the waters"(haha). So, last night we took Joshua for his free lesson. I honestly didn't expect it to go as well as it did! When we first arrived they were in the middle of another class; so it was a little hectic trying to keep Joshua from getting in the water. He was so excited! He kept asking if he could get in. I tried to explain, as best I could to a 3 yr old, that you he had to wait until it was his turn. While we were waiting, the instructor for the class he would be in came over and greeted Dan and I and shook our hands and then she bent down and said, "Hello, Joshua!" Joshua immediately stuck his hand out and said, "Hello, nice to meet you!" It was so cute, but surprising! He usually shys away in these situations. It gave Dan and I confidence that this might actually work out. This is the first time that Dan and I didn't get in the water with him for his lesson. It would just be him and the instructor in the water. No water wings, No ring float, NOTHING!!! This made for one nervous momma, but this was the whole point and what I was looking for, so here went nothing. There were 2 other kids in his group(all boys); one had taken lessons before there and the other one was new, like Joshua. Ms. Judy, the instructor started right off the bat with getting them to use there legs and kick around in the water, then she showed them how to use their arms to push the water away. They also learned about blowing bubbles. Joshua already knew how to blow bubbles in the water, but she challenged them a little. She also taught how to get out of the water appropriately. Joshua had a little trouble sitting still, but what 3 yr old doesn't? Only one time did he get up and ask for me, but I quickly walked over and told him to sit down and that I would sit on the bench that was close by, so he could see me the whole time. I didn't know if this was going to help him or hinder him, but it seemed to work just fine. Ms. Judy actually had them swim(with her help, of course) from the side to the steps. Once they were all on the steps, she had some water toys, and asked each one to blow bubbles and reach for the toy underwater. She started out where they barely had to stick their heads under water to get the toy, then she would move the toy down to the next step. Towards the end of this exercise she actually had them blowing bubbles as they went underwater to grab the toy. When it was Joshua's turn, he wanted to just grab the toy without doing the work, but she told him that is not how it works. So, his first round he did great. The second round he came up coughing. He started out blowing bubbles, and then once he was under I guess he forgot to keep blowing bubbles and he swallowed a little water, but he came up coughing and smiling! He kept saying, "Momma, I did it, I did it!!" It honestly made my heart jump for joy to see him so proud of himself and for being so brave. When the lesson was over, he didn't want to get out of the pool. In fact, he began to cry and I literally had to pick him up out of the water. So, while Dan was changing him I asked his instructor what she thought about him and the lesson. She said that she thought he would do great and over time he would learn to sit still and patiently wait, but she knows it is hard to do for a little kid. Dan and I took a minute to discuss it and we both agreed this is where he needed to be. Everything went so much better than we expected! Joshua really surprised us last night! So, we signed him up and he will go every Monday from 4:30-5:00 starting Aug. 8th. He will get 8 lessons out of the deal and if we choose to extend it we can. That is the beauty of having it indoors; You can take lessons year round. I also think this will help him grow socially as well. Last night, when we were putting him to bed, I asked if he liked going to swim lessons and he said yes. I asked if he wanted to go back and he said yes! I told him good, you can go back next Monday! Dan took some pictures with his cell phone while we were there.


Joshua waiting for his turn in the water.



A little blurry, but you get the picture.




This was his little class last night.

3 little boys listening (ok, not really) to Ms. Judy!





Kick, Kick, Kick!




It is kind of blurry, but Joshua is following Ms. Judy as she shows them how to use their arms and make a "ham sandwich". That is what they call it when both of their hands meet.





We are so proud of Joshua! I just can't get over how well he did! We are looking forward to next Monday when he will be in his regular class, AquaTykes I!







No comments: