Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Technology Whiz

Kids today live in a very technological world and everyday technology gets more and more advanced. It really is crazy how well kids today can catch on to something like working a computer to playing a game on a cell phone. Kids can not escape the world of technology and neither can adults for that matter. Almost everyone has a cell phone and almost every household has at least 1 computer. Even children's toys are geared up with technology. There is V-tech, leapfrog, mobigo, I could go on. I do not think this is all that bad, because it is the way the world is now and it is only going to get more advanced in years to come. What I do think is sad is that a child (my child) can work an iPhone better than an adult (me). When Joshua was probably 18 months or maybe a little older he was able to somehow turn one of my coworkers computers screens sideways. He pushed some button or clicked on something to make the screen turn vertical. As adults we were unable to turn it back the way it was originally, so my coworker ended up turning her whole monitor vertical. We eventually fixed it, but it did stay that way for awhile. Joshua loves to play games on an iPhone that my coworker has and he knows exactly how to turn it on and exactly which way to drag his little finger in order for it to go to the next screen so he can get to the game he wants. You can't even trick him and tell him that it is on another page, because he knows it isn't. He loves to play games on my phone and he will request them by name and then navigate me on where to go. He even found(by mistake) a whole other level on a game on my mom's phone that she didn't even know about. He can work a mouse on the computer like a pro and I introduced him to some fun sesame street games that he absolutely loves. He looks like a natural at the computer. He knows to move the mouse around to make the cursor move, and he knows how to click, but not together and not the correct button. I just think it is incredible how much he knows about computers and phones and it just amazes me. I don't think it is appropriate for a child to spend long hours on the computer or in front of a TV or anything like that. So, Joshua is limited to how long he can be on the computer. He only gets 15 mins a day and it is only if he ask to get on. I know that the world is getting more advanced and that by the time Joshua is my age it will be a whole new world with a whole new technology, more advanced than ever before. So I guess I will just accept the fact that my kid will probably be always one step ahead of me when it comes to technology.








No comments: