Monday, April 25, 2011

Gardening 101

On Friday, we planted a lemon drop tree. Joshua likes to call it "Joshua's tree", but none the less it is a tree. I have been wanting to plant some trees or flowers for awhile now, but we haven't really had the time to go and look for them or plant them. We had a 3 day weekend, and we were going to be home, so I decided this was a good time to do some planting. We decided on planting this tree that will hopefully produce lemonkuats in the backyard and we potted some marigolds in the front. Joshua's favorite part was watering the tree after it was planted. He actually asks if he can water HIS tree. Lucky for us this tree needs to be watered daily, so it is easy to let him water it, we just have to make sure he doesn't drown the tree. I love the fact that we have a tree in the backyard. Who knows if we will ever see it reach it's full potential in height, but I hope we can see it produce some fruit. I also bought a kid's starter garden for Joshua. It came with 4 different kinds of seeds, dirt, stickers and a little container. I didn't think it was going to work, but there are actually sprouts growing and I have no idea where I am going to put this garden once it gets to big for the plastic container it is in. I guess I better get to thinking. We planted marigolds, sunflowers, lettuce and cucumbers. I never dreamed they would sprout, so I wasn't worried about making it to the next step of actually having a garden and needing a bigger container. I actually would not mind having a garden. I have been looking into it and researching gardening. I just think it would be so neat to grow your own veggies, among other things. I also wouldn't mind having a chicken coop so I could have fresh eggs, but I don't think our home owners association or our neighbors would like that too much. So, until we move to the country(hahaha) I will have to settle for just a few trees and maybe a small garden. I love the fact that we planted the tree as a family and are taking care of it as a family. I posted some pictures below of the tree being planted. Enjoy!






































Hopefully, next we will be planting a keylime tree and an avocado tree. I didn't even know they had avocado trees. So very excited!!












No comments: